Monday 17 October 2011

Just had the Police call

I felt sick.
I don't know if you've ever had the police knock at your door? Unfortunately I have, it was eleven years ago when my brother had that awful car accident.
So of course I was transported back to that experience.
They don't tell you why they are there. Probably for privacy. They ask to be invited in. I quickly explained that I was nervous because this had happened before and they assured me it was nothing like that (phew).
So then your mind races what could it be? I'd already killed off half my family in my head.
They told me the'd had an anonymous report of loud voices (basically possible domestic violence). I was asked who was in the house - my kids and my husband was in the back garden making sure the chickens had put themselves to bed (they're just getting the hang of it).
So I was asked to go get him. Which I did, trying to reassure him that it was nothing serious but the police were here!
We were split up and questioned. Not aggressively or anything but it seems I had a more thorough questioning than my husband.
My police officer  revealed that they'd had an anonymous phone call stating raised voices were heard and a woman's voice shouting at at child then smacking him. I felt sick
I was asked if i'd been hit, how long we'd been married, what time the kids went to bed, had there been any raised voices?
I explained that I have a 5 and 2 year old and they hadn't made any more noises than usual but they make a lot of noise (I feel sorry for my neighbours).
I hadn't even put them to bed tonight. But I honestly started questioning what I had done leading up to and around bed time.
Of course you also start thinking, who reported us?!
So 10/15mins later she left the room, and I waited.
As I looked around the room I wondered if she thought we had too few toys (i've read or watched that this sometimes indicates a lack of interest -or something- with your children) I'd packed most of them away in the play room.
All the while my husband is being questioned in the kitchen. He even offered, then let the officer check the kids out (he wasn't being questioned in relation to the children)
So I waited
She finally came back and told us she had the wrong address!
Thank God. But so scary.
I cried with relief when they had left. They were apologetic and I get why they had to be so thorough. However, a postcode check would have saved me having my heart in my mouth and got them to the right place.
I hope the child that possibly needed their help, got it.

1 comment:

Jeanette said...

I know you wont think I'm insensitive if I say I nearly snorted tea out of my nose at you not having enough toys for your children...they didn't see the play room then??
Seriously though, I know how horrible this is, as it happened to us a few years ago, and it really shook me up too.Luckily the police realised more quickly in our case that they had the wrong address.