Wednesday 29 June 2011

Doodlehouse

So a while ago I raved about a coop that I saw on Ebay called a Doodlehouse (see previous post if you fancy it). So I ended up buying one from there then Ebay shop. Big mistake!!! Huuge mistake :(

Initially I stored it my mums, In the wrapper. She moved so I had to find a new home. I unwrapped it and treated it with wood preserver - I have to add at this point that (as I remember it) their Ebay listing professed that you *could* paint it but it didn't NEED painting.

I *think* mine is made of exterior plywood. At the time the bumf said something like....why don't we use marine plywood? Because rain doesn't have salt in it blah, blah, blah.
I'm getting pi$$ed off as I write.
Soon after they changed their product to marine ply, and have changed the materials again (hmm I wonder why)?
Oh and the most laughable part of it! I remember the listing saying something along the lines of....how they had been had by cheap/poor quality chicken coops and how they had to buy a new one soon after.
This had been why they had designed the Doodlehouse. So that other people wouldn't have to go through what they had (I'm writing this from memory so this is not the exact wording - I wish I'd taken a screenshot).
So, I treated the coop. Stored what I could indoors and one piece could not fit so I left it outside.
However, it is a coop and that's where it's going to be used so what's the problem you ask?

It weathered awfully. Awfully I tell you! It was outside for one winter and has been stored outside for just over a year.
Here are some pics:



Do you think this is how a chicken coop should look after such a short time outside? Without the added stress of chicken poop and pee!!! I don't!
It looks shocking and I so wish I'd waited a bit longer and bought an Eglu or Cube from Omlet. I didn't rush into this purchase. I researched, I waited, I researched some more and bought within my budget. Fat lot of good that did!!


But in my opinion that's not the worst part. I contacted Doodlehouse and at first the emails seemed positive. I was offered a discount towards a new Doodlehouse. Which I appreciated, it's just that I can't afford a new Doodlehouse, even with a discount. I could have bought an Omlet Cube with the money that i'd spent in total (if i'd have bought another)!
So I told them that sent pictures and also stated that I didn't think the coop was fit for purpose. I mean, a coop made in Britain that can't stand up to British weather in my opinion is not fit for purpose! Look at the state of it! It's not going to improve with age!!! Grrrrrr

Would you like to know their response?
To IGNORE me.
No answer, nada, nothing, zilch.
Erm, great customer service there.
So what do I do?
Resend the email.
No reply.
What the hell is that about?
So they sold me a dud coop and then ignore me when I try and tell them about it.

My advice to anyone who is thinking of buying one is to think again. Their new coops maybe the dogs whatsits, but if you have a problem that's when you'll be left hanging.
Buyer BEWARE!!!!

2 comments:

Jeanette said...

There is a very long and similar story to yours as to why I was given one of the newer ones by a friend. TBH, lovely as it looks, it's a pita to clean out.
I'll fill you in on the details when I next see you. x

Oxymornic said...

Sad to see it's not just me :( Muppets!! I hope that other people realise how shit they are and spend their money elsewhere!