Tuesday 13 October 2009

I AM SOMEBODY!!!!!

Today I was reminded that I am somebody. Yes I'm a mother and I wife but I am me too!

My friend was shocked when I told her that we co sleep with both of the boys (we bought an Emperor bed just for the job - 7ft by 7ft something.....mmm). She commented that I needed some time to myself.
I laughed, and thought she was just another 'main streamer' disapproving of my parenting choices and brushed it off.

Today I was complemented by the practice nurse. She's normally quite blunt, rushed off her feet and well, a bit rude really. Thinking about it everyone was on form today at my doctors. The receptionist was APOLOGETIC (never been) communicative and pleasant (usually they are the 'gatekeepers' for the GP's and often bulldog like).
Anyway
, so the nurse said I was 'considerate' I was like... er what do you mean?
I had attended with both of my sons as my youngest is having a hard time with the skin on his face and head.
So she proceeded to say how I'd asked if my son could play with the toys she has for children in her room and that no one ever did. Then she asked me what I did. I replied that I was a sahm. Then she asked what I did before - I was a student ( I often forget I had just started my masters when I got pregnant with my eldest an proceeded to get hypermesis gravidarum and I dropped out). We chatted a little more.
So even though this conversation may seem innocuous to yourself it made me feel good :) She was interested in ME and it was like - your not the same as the people I come across here I'd like to know a little more about YOU. This was the first step in my realisation (or rememberance) that I am SOMEBODY.

Then I had a dentist appointment straight after. I met my husband in a supermarket car park and swapped cars as I was running late. He asked if I was taking my youngest lol! I asked him if I should sit him on my lap when I'm on the dentists chair ;)
I went in and the receptionist remembered my name! Can you believe that lol!
I had a conversation with a grown up. These people conversed with me, just because!! They didn't have to, they could have given me my card and sent me on my way.
Can you tell my self esteem is low?
I had forgotten about me.
I'm trying so hard (feeling like I'm failing) to be a decent mother and homemaker that I have forgotten the core of ME and if there is no me then how can anything else be?
I feel happy. I just need to remember how to access this emotion. How to access me because although I love my role as a mother, wife and homemaker (lol). The core of me need to be nurtured so that I can flourish as a person.

No comments: